RESTRICTIONS: NO ACCESS AUSTRALIA
Thredbo, Australia - Recent
1. Wide of people going up mountain on ski lift
2. Wide of People at bottom of mountain
3. SOUNDBITE: (English) Denise Allardice, Thredbo Alpine Resort Manager:
"The natural snow fall has been disappointing for the resort and for the industry as a whole, it hasn't really provided us with the snow depth, natural snow depth that we have experienced in the last five years."
4. Wide of snowboarder going down mountain
File - AuBC
New South Wales, Australia - Date Unknown
6. Arial of drying river
7. Aerial of dry land
Dalgety, Australia - Recent
8. Man driving tractor
9. Wide of tractor
10. SOUNDBITE: (English) David Glasson, Farmer:
"In a normal year the snow is the bank, during September, October, November it's melting and recharging the damns. But that's going to be a very, very short recharge."
11. Wide of sprinkler
12. Aerial of sheep running
13. SOUNDBITE: (English) David Glasson, Farmer:
"Those fellows are going to be really squeezed and there's no fat left any longer because the drought has gone on for so long."
File - AuBC
New South Wales - Date Unknown
14. Pan of river
Sydney - Recent
15. SOUNDBITE: (English) Professor Richard Kingsford, University of New South Wales (audio partly covered by video):
"It's certainly going to increase the salinity in the Lower Murray and it will do nothing for the dying red gums or the declining water bird populations, so its a fairly serious issue"
File - AuBC
New South Wales, Date Unknown
16. Various aerials of area
17. Drying river bed
Nimmitabel, New South Wales - Recent
18. Truck driving through town.
18. Corner shop
19. Aerial of local school.
20. SOUNDBITE: (English) Jo Jones, School headmistress (audio partly covered by video):
"It was stolen, amazingly, somebody brought a truck in and pumped the water tank out and we were left with no water for the children to drink."
21. Various shots of McGlaughlin river
22. Woman turning on taps in bath
23. Close up taps
24. SOUNDBITE: (English) Jo Rankin, Local Resident (audio partly covered by video):
"I've actually heard of some people in town who are willing to leave town because of the water supply, it's just getting so bad."
25. People getting off school bus
26. Aerial of area
27. SOUNDBITE: (English) Local Resident (unknown name):
"It's to do with people's lifestyle and I don't say that lightly. They should be able to have a vegetable garden they should be able to have a green lawn in front of their house and that's the sort of thing one wants to see guaranteed."
28. Wide of pub exterior
29. SOUNDBITE: (English) Richard Lawson, Nimmitabel Advancement Group (audio partly covered by video):
"With no storage, it's always going to constantly be level three. Until we get the pipeline, it's that desperate people are actually pinching water."
30. Various of river
31. Aerial of town.
The Australian state of New South Wales is facing severe difficulties because of three years of drought.
The situation is getting bad, so bad in fact, that in one town someone resorted to stealing water from a local school.
The effects of this winter's disappointing snowfall are being felt throughout the southern Australian region of New South Wales.
In the past, with the help of snow machines to top up the natural snowfall, skiers at theThredbo Alpine Resort were able to enjoy the slopes.
But this season, the lack of real snow has been very disappointing, according to the resort manager, Denise Allardice.
Less snowfall means there's less of it to melt over the spring and summer.
The rivers downstream including the Murray River, rely on the water flow from the melting snow.
You can license this story through AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/cf76a13d3ecde8dff54008c61e05cd5d
Find out more about AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/HowWeWork