Product Management 101. What is product management and why is it a growing role in the marketplace? How do you become a product manager? What is the role of a product manager? How do you get started in product management? How to get hired as a product manager?
This interview was brought to you by Airtable. What would you make if you had tools designed for the way you like to create? Try it for free and save $50 in credit by signing up with this link: 👉 http://bit.ly/2WNUua1
In this interview with Product Manager, Justin Ziccardi, we talk about Product Management, a rapidly evolving discipline that, according to Hired.com is the highest paid tech role for 2018.
Justin Ziccardi has almost 15 years of product management experience across emerging startups and fortune 100 companies. He currently leads product management for hardware and software at Tonal, a San Francisco based startup building the world's most intelligent fitness system.
1:15 Introduction to Justin Zaccardi
2:45 What does a Product Manager do?
3:25 Three Fundamentals of Product Management
4:20 Product Manager's Responsibilities
6:23 Minimum Viable Product
7:41 Communicating with teams
10:58 "Jobs to be Done"
11:30 Milkshake Manifesto, Clayton M. Christensen
12:28 Adjacent Possible
13:33 Four Qualities of Successful Product Managers
15:17 The Day in the Life of a Product Manager
17:15 How to get into Product Management
21:33 Client Work vs Agency Work
23:53 How much do Product Managers make? https://hired.com/state-of-salaries-2018
Qualities of a Good Product Manager:
1. Translator: Can speak business, design, and tech. They can turn the "why" into a "what". Meaning they can translate intent into action.
2. Can Prioritize: There are always a hundred possible things a business or organization can do. However a good PM can help direct and prioritize talent and resources to have the biggest impact.
3. Unorthodox problem solver (Curiosity+Empathy+Challenger): A key thing that PMs focus on is solving the problem, by any means necessary.
4. Multi-disciplinary: By knowing a little bit of how things work– in business, design, tech– PMs can have a better 30k ft view of problem-solving. They can help facilitate the resources to move towards solving a problem, simply because they have an idea of what's possible. This allows the PM to superpower the team and let them do what they do best.
5. Vision and Intuition: PMs keep in perspective of the end goal. This allows them to plan ahead and keep the team productive and aimed towards the right goal.
6. Get SH*T DONE: At the end of the day, a good PM should be able to get things done through resourceful means. You can practice and demonstrate it by shipping your own product. That could be as simple as a small community website up to a product that solves a big problem.
👉See our Academy Channel: https://goo.gl/vB9zoP
Want a deeper dive? Typography, Lettering, Sales & Marketing, Social Media and The Business of Design courses available here:
🎙 Futur Podcast: https://thefutur.com/podcast/
✍️ Futur Blog: https://thefutur.com/blog/
Love the content? Become a sustaining member for $5/mo today.
Essential Reading for Creative Professionals: http://bit.ly/2UtftOb
Essential Design Books: http://bit.ly/2UtftOb
Kits & Proposals:
Visit our website:
Mandarin (Chinese) Subtitles on UiiUii
We love getting your letters. Send it here:
c/o Chris Do
1702 Olympic Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90404
🙏 Support The Futur but purchasing through our affiliate links:
Retro Supply Co.: http://bit.ly/2GW8gzR
Creative Market: https://goo.gl/g4jlTE
Design Cuts: http://bit.ly/2GSsAR3
✍️ Sharpen your skills by taking a course, using our affiliate links:
School of Motion: http://bit.ly/futur-som
Bring Your Own Laptop Tutorials: https://byol.me/thefutur
🎧 Do you like the music? Check out the music libraries we use in our affiliate links below:
Epidemic Sound: https://bit.ly/2T647tR
*By making a purchase through any of our affiliate links, we receive a very small commission at no extra cost to you. This helps us on our mission to provide quality education to you. Thank you.
Host– Chris Do
Content Director– Matthew Encina
Cinematography– Aaron Szekely, Mark Contreras, Ricky Lucas
Live Editor– Jona Garcia
Editor– Stewart Schuster, Mark Contreras, Aaron Szekely, Ricky Lucas, Jona Garcia
Social Team: Elle Money, Alex Burlui
Futur Theme Music – Adam Sanborne http://www.adamsanborne.com
Typefaces: Futura, DIN, Helvetica Neue, Calibre
Futur theme song— Adam Sanborne