Q: What do you call a system where you work your rear end off for years to end up not being able to afford care for yourself?
A: SHUP UP COMMIE!!1
An excerpt from the "Economic Update", a weekly program hosted by Richard Wolff.
Full episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjmO8Fhvny8
1. Maine voters approve raising the minimum wage http://www.pressherald.com/2016/11/08/minimum-wage-question-divides-voters/
2. Question 4 https://ballotpedia.org/Maine_Minimum_Wage_Increase,_Question_4_(2016)
3. Final count shows Maine voters passed new tax for school funding http://www.pressherald.com/2016/11/10/tax-for-education-measure-passes/comments/
4. Maine Tax on Incomes Exceeding $200,000 for Public Education, Question 2 (2016) https://ballotpedia.org/Maine_Tax_on_Incomes_Exceeding_$200,000_for_Public_Education,_Question_2_(2016)
5. Maine voters legalize recreational use of marijuana by razor-thin margin http://www.pressherald.com/2016/11/10/absentee-ballots-from-overseas-may-be-key-to-maine-marijuana-vote/
6. Maine Marijuana Legalization, Question 1 (2016) https://ballotpedia.org/Maine_Marijuana_Legalization,_Question_1_(2016)
7. Maine People's Alliance https://ballotpedia.org/Maine_People%27s_Alliance
8. MPA announcement photos from https://www.mainepeoplesalliance.org/content/mainers-launch-universal-home-care-referendum-campaign http://mainebeacon.com/mainers-launch-groundbreaking-referendum-campaign-for-universal-in-home-care/
9. Median age of U.S. population in 2016, by state https://www.statista.com/statistics/208048/median-age-of-population-in-the-usa-by-state/
10. Paying for Long-Term Care in Maine https://www.genworth.com/about-us/industry-expertise/cost-of-care.html
11. Median Household Income in Maine https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEHOINUSMEA646N
12. Maine People’s Alliance launches in-home care referendum drive http://www.pressherald.com/2017/09/27/maine-peoples-alliance-launches-in-home-care-referendum-drive/
13. Contribution And Benefit Base https://www.ssa.gov/oact/COLA/cbb.html#Series
Richard David Wolff is an American Marxian economist, well known for his work on Marxian economics, economic methodology, and class analysis. He is Professor of Economics Emeritus, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, and currently a Visiting Professor in the Graduate Program in International Affairs of the New School University in New York. Wolff has also taught economics at Yale University, City University of New York, University of Utah, University of Paris I (Sorbonne), and The Brecht Forum in New York City.
In 1988 he co-founded the journal Rethinking Marxism. In 2010, Wolff published Capitalism Hits the Fan: The Global Economic Meltdown and What to Do About It, also released as a DVD. He released three new books in 2012: Occupy the Economy: Challenging Capitalism, with David Barsamian (San Francisco: City Lights Books), Contending Economic Theories: Neoclassical, Keynesian, and Marxian, with Stephen Resnick (Cambridge, MA, and London: MIT University Press), and Democracy at Work (Chicago: Haymarket Books).